Missouri Child Support Termination Procedure


Missouri Child Support Question:

I recently had my Missouri child support affidavit returned to me from the Missouri courts stating that the affidavit form is only for terminating all children.

How do I terminate child support if only one of my children is considered emancipated?

Answer from Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan Rapoff:

Generally, in Missouri, child support terminates when a child dies, marries, enters the military, becomes self supporting, or turns 18. However, child support can continue after age 18, and all the way to age 21.

Pursuant to Revised Missouri Statute 452.340, child support may continue beyond a child’s 18th birthday if specific requirements are met. Assuming none of these exceptions apply in your case, a modification or termination of child support is not automatic. Therefore, you will need to do so by filing a motion with the court.

The affidavit you filed with the court only applies, as the court stated, when no child support remains for any child. Assuming that is not the case, you will need to file a Motion to Terminate Child Support and Declare Emancipation.

Based on the very limited facts that you have provided me, I recommend that you speak with a Missouri child support attorney for a more in-depth analysis of the facts of your case.

Missouri Child Support Lawyer

The importance of having a Missouri divorce lawyer cannot be emphasized enough, especially if handling confusing child support calculations. The procedures in the family division of the circuit court may seem simple and children-oriented, but they are complicated. The mistakes made can have lasting, non-modifiable consequences.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.